458 Meylert St Laporte PA 18626
The museum Main Building is located behind the Courthouse, on Courthouse Square, in Laporte, Pa. This building contains records and artifacts relevant to Sullivan and surrounding counties.
Included are: county and local government records; family histories and genealogies; school records and old school texts; photographs; postcards; old maps; a collection of local newspapers (not available for public viewing at this time); household implements and crafts; old toys; furniture; clothing; Lewis Lake Glass Co. bottles; displays about local towns and industries; accounts of local history.
For further information on the resources available in the Museum, click here.
The main building includes the original 34' square portion built in the 1880's, which was used in 1894 to house the Courthouse records while a new Courthouse (the County's second, and nucleus of the present building) was being built. The Society acquired the use of half of this nucleus in 1956 to be used as the beginning of a 'home' for the Society's acquisitions. The Pauline Holcombe Wing was added to the original section in 1988 to further expand the facility.
Copyright 2012 Sullivan County PA Historical Society and Museum. All rights reserved.
The Sullivan County PA Historical Society and Museum is a registered 501(c)(3).